What are your weekend plans?
To mark the advent of Spring, we celebrate Bohag Bihu in Assam. Spring is celebrated all over the world in different ways.
Since this weekend is Bihu and most of us will be engaged in festivities, I thought of sharing with you all this mouth-watering yet healthy boiled chicken recipe.
Although I was aware of it and had tasted boiled chicken curries from different regions and cuisines, this one is by far the best. It is so because this is a personally modified version of all such other recipes.
It is almost more than a year now that my professor and friend Dr Debapriya Basu first offered me to taste this curry. And, I simply fell in love with it since then. I have had the curry several times after that and I can never grow tired of it. She experiments with the curry by using different vegetables. This gives the curry uniquely delicious aromas and tastes every time.
Without further ado, presenting you the recipe of the world’s one of the easiest to cook and best boiled chicken curry! Here you go.
The Versatile Boiled Chicken Curry
(I have named it so for its versatile nature. You can cook this chicken with a number of veggies you want. And it will taste pretty awesome every time!)
- Chicken (1 kg)
- Ginger and Garlic (2:1 ratio) (I would suggest you use a lot of ginger)
- Tomato (1-2)
- Green Chillies (to your liking)
- 1-2 dry red chillies (for some colour)
(This depends on your tastes. You can literally add a variety of veggies you wish. The following always works wonder):
- Mirliton squash or Chayote
- Leaf mustard greens
- Baby corns
- Bamboo shoots
- Chop the ginger, garlic, chillies and tomato into pieces. (Use a bullet grinder to do it. It is super easy to operate and also not bulky at all. I am providing you with the link below).
- You can either grind the ingredients or just leave them chopped.
- Heat a non-stick cooking pot. And simply throw in your chicken pieces. Add a pinch of salt and some water to it. (No! You don’t need to add ANY oil to it. The best part, right?!)
- Add your chopped or ground ingredients to the chicken.
- Add your veggies to it now. (Yes, all at the same time! It is that easy and simple!)
- Let everything boil in full heat for a while. You will see that the chicken has released its own fats which float on the sides of the pot.
- Once you see the oil floating, put the heat on low.
- Add some more water, depending on the consistency of the curry or gravy you want to have. Always add some more water than you want your gravy to be since the water will boil down.
- Check if you need more salt and add some accordingly.
- Cover the pot and let the chicken slow cook.
- Check the chicken once or twice in between.
- Relax and enjoy your cuppa and the latest Netflix show while the chicken cooks!
Your boiled chicken curry will be done after about 30-40 minutes!
The aroma of the blended ginger, garlic, chillies and tomato will leave your mouth watering. The added veggies make your chicken curry look green and aesthetically pleasing to the eyes.
But more than anything, it is super healthy and super tasty at the same time! A rare combination to relish.
Have a wonderful weekend ahead. Try this new recipe for yourself and your loved ones. And do not forget to share with me how did you like it.
A tiny note to my fellow Soul-Searchers: If you see any link in this page that you like and you purchase the products by clicking on this link, The Soul Searcher may receive a very small commission. These products are little things that help me live through my everyday. So, I am sharing them with you all. Thank you already!