What are you doing this weekend?
Last weekend we went for a good, quiet lunch.
This weekend, I have a suggestion for you. A tasty and an easy treat.
Why not try baking some Irish Soda Bread at home?
Sounds fun right? Let’s begin.
What is Soda Bread?
Soda bread can be quickly baked at your home using sodium bicarbonate instead of yeast. The advantage of soda bread is you can bake them easily. Unlike traditional yeast bread made from scratch, you do not need any special baking skills to bake soda bread.
Since the bread does not use yeast, it does not cause heartburn or acidity. Bread baked with yeast does cause acidity in some cases.
Although this bread originated in the European colonies in America, it is more commonly made in countries like Scotland, Ireland, Australia and Serbia.
But no one can beat the Irish in baking bread!
How Can You Bake Irish Soda Bread?
It is pretty simple. Yes, you can try baking it at your home. All you need are a few basic ingredients and a microwave oven.
- Plain Flour 4 cups
- White Sugar 4 tablespoons
- Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
- Baking Powder 1 tablespoon
- Salt 1/2 teaspoon
- Softened Margarine or Butter 1/2 cup
- Buttermilk 1 cup
- Egg 1
- Dry fruits (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees centigrade.
- Place flour baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt in a bowl.
- Mix together. Add softened butter and mix with a wooden spoon until crumbs form.
- Lightly flour a flat surface as prep for rolling the dough.
- Mix buttermilk, oil and eggs together separately.
- Add the liquid to the crumbs and mix with hands until it comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and shape it into a round.
- Lift and place it onto a tray previously lined with baking parchment.
- Take a sharp knife and score a cross through the centre of the circle and make small cuts in the 4 quarters.
- Bake in an oven for 40 mins at 160 degrees centigrade or until the bread is warm golden.
- Check the bread as you do it with cake. If the toothpick comes out clean it is done. Another way of checking it is by tapping the bottom. If it sounds hollow it is done.
The very smell of the soda bread baking is enough to make your mouth water. The aroma reminds me of warm, cosy rainy afternoons and of the old flowering trees in Spring.
Sit down and relax. Enjoy your freshly baked warm Irish Soda bread with some Raspberry Diet Marmalade . Pour a cup of some good Colombian coffee which has notes of pomegranate, red grape and honey blended into it. Binge on a Netflix show or read a good book.
Or, why not tell me how you usually spend your weekends? Let’s hang out this weekend.
Have a wonderful time 🙂
A tiny note to my fellow Soul-Searchers: If you see any link in this page that you like and you purchase the products by clicking on this link, The Soul Searcher may receive a very small commission. These products are little things that help me live through my everyday. So, I am sharing them with you all. Thank you already!